Today I would like to tell you about a free SEO tool that we’ve developed called the SEO Page Spider. You can get a copy of it from the Google Play Store. It’s quite a simple tool. It shows you the Page Title, Meta Description, First H1 Tag, First P Tag, Domain Name, Local Path and Word Count for a particular page. We developed it to save time when reverse engineering HTML pages. Click on the following link to download a free copy.
If you are thinking of starting a career in digital marketing and you need some guidance, then check this out. A friend recently asked me to send him a few bullet points on what his son would need to learn to become a digital marketer. As a coincidence, at the same time I was working on a small project for a company that sourced apprentices and I came across this excellent government Apprenticeship Standard for Digital Marketers and I though it would be nice to share. Happy job hunting!
Google has today launched a revamped SEO Starter Guide. This is fantastic news! The old guide was getting a bit frayed around the edges. I love the new one-page format. I would change its name to the “Google SEO Guide” though. “Starter Guide” implies that there is another guide somewhere that is more advanced and there isn’t. If you know this guide then you know SEO. If you can implement this guide then you can have a SEO proficiency badge. We’re getting some printed. Happy Reading :).
How Does Google Index New Websites? Today there was a very interesting question on the English Google Webmaster Central Office-Hours Hangout about how to get a large number of URLs indexed on a new website.
In theory guest blogging is a great way to build free content for SEO. However, spammers have recently started using it to build back-links.
Here is a real example.
I was recently forwarded an email from a client who specialises in pensions. In it the lady said that she had read a certain article on our blog and that it had really resonated with her. She went on to describe how her mum had been left destitute after retiring and that she had struggled to find a way to support her. It went on at some length and was really well written and convincing. She said that she was so passionate about the subject that she, a trained journalist, had decided to dedicate her life to spreading the message through guest blogging and that she thought our company blog would be an ideal platform. It wasn’t until you got to the end that you realised that it was from a person based in the US who was quoting US federal laws. Not something that is relevant to a UK business who is governed by the FSA.
In this article entitled A reminder about links in large-scale article campaigns, Google states that:
Lately we’ve seen an increase in spammy links contained in articles referred to as contributor posts, guest posts, partner posts, or syndicated posts. These articles are generally written by or in the name of one website, and published on a different one.
Personally, I don’t use guest authors. I find the process too difficult to manage. But, if you can be sure that their articles will be unique, and won’t be featured on any other website, then it can be a great way to build content.
SEO is much easier if you understand how search engines work and my favorite metaphor is to think of a search engine as a librarian. Read more
SEO Training Courses
- What is the Google Dance? May 11, 2018
- Google Rolls Out Mobile First Indexing May 11, 2018
- Introducing the Search Quality Evaluator Guidelines. January 11, 2018
- SEO Page Spider – Free Download December 19, 2017
- Apprenticeship Standard for Digital Marketers December 18, 2017
- New Google SEO Starter Guide December 14, 2017
- How Does Google Index New Websites November 3, 2017
- Is Guest Blogging a Legitimate SEO Technique? September 1, 2017
- Meta Descriptions and Better Search Engine Snippets for Users August 22, 2017
- How to Speed Up Your Website With Google Test My Site July 6, 2017
- How Search Engines Work and the Librarian Metaphor June 22, 2017
- What is AMP and What Effect Does it Have on SEO? December 8, 2016
- No Meta Description Tag – How does Google handle it? October 25, 2016
- Save Time and Money with WordPress Themes July 29, 2016
- SEO Ranking Factors: AWS EC2 Hosting Vs 1and1 Dedicated Server February 17, 2015
- Google will use HTTPS as a SEO ranking factor August 8, 2014
- Is this a black-hat SEO technique? October 17, 2013
- How to use Google Webmaster Tools to check that your pages are indexed properly. August 15, 2013
- Do Links in Blog Comments Contribute to PageRank? August 15, 2013
- WordPress SEO: How should I optimise the blog page? August 14, 2013
- Google SEO and how to deal with the “Notice of Unnatural Links” warning August 14, 2013
- Google Data Centres August 14, 2013
- Are we paying our SEO to do nothing? August 14, 2013
- Each SEO Phrase Needs a Page August 13, 2013
- SEO and Breadcrumbs August 13, 2013
- Hosting Costs: Is £150 per website expensive? August 13, 2013
- Intensive SEO Training in Surrey on Wed 12 Jun 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in Surrey on Wed 10 Jul 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in Surrey on Wed 28 Aug 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in Surrey on Wed 11 Sep 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in Surrey on Wed 16 Oct 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in Surrey on Wed 13 Nov 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in Surrey on Wed 11 Dec 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in London on Wed 22 May 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in London on Wed 26 Jun 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in London on Wed 24 Jul 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in London on Wed 25 Sep 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in London on Wed 23 Oct 2019 £395.00
- Intensive SEO Training in London on Wed 27 Nov 2019 £395.00